installing Octopress on OS X Lion, oy vey
My initial attempt to get ruby 1.9.3 on OS X Lion ended in frustration. I followed the Octopress install instructions and attempted to install rbenv. This lead to a series of errors that had me installing an old version of gcc, clang, etc. I’m not a sysadmin, so I eventually just gave it up as a lost cause.
So, I moved on to installing octopress on my Windows 7 laptop – done – and a virtualbox guest Ubuntu using rvm – done.
Then, I discovered JewelryBox and decided to give the OS X install another shot.
OS X Mountain Lion Install Log
You can just skip this part if sysadmin details make you go cross-eyed.
- first attempt – install ruby-1.9.3-p125 failed because of readline
- second attempt – after installing homebrew, I ran
brew install readline. It barfed because I didn’t have Xcode 4.4.1.
- Cleaned up harddrive because I didn’t have enough space to upgrade XCode
- Opened the Mac Appstore and attempted to upgrade XCode
brew doctorand followed recommendations to remove macports/fink, old library files, and upgrade my compiler
- after lots of wasted time, I was able to install readline. Now, to try installing ruby again…
- third attempt – failed again trying to install readline
- ruby is for hackers
- Apple makes doing non-Apple things hard
- stackoverflow is an amazing asset for a developer